Photo Record
Images
Metadata
Catalog Number |
1998.1.386 |
Object Name |
Photograph |
Description |
Same as 2006-002-033. Part of Spanishtown.Bulmore ID 36.tif These photos are listed as Bulmore photos copyrighted by the Bulmore Family. For permission to print, please contact Wes Lord. These pictures (for the most part) were taken by Robert Richard Bulmore, last general manager of the mines. Some are family photographs and some are of the mine workings, mine workers and their homes. These prints were made by Walter Ringborn, made from the original glass negatives. A view of the south side of Mine Hill in Spanishtown. At the base is the Main Tunnel. Open-cut mining results appear on the hill. Cinnabar Hills by Bulmore page 51 has this photo with indication that the tunnel is the San Francisco not the Main Tunnel. The Main Tunnel was used to reach the San Francisco tunnel. Shown in book 140, Geologic Guidebook of the San Francisco Bay Counties, p 266. "An old photo of the southeast edge of Mine Hill, New Almaden, Santa Clara County, showing the lower section of the Mexican Camp. The level area in the right foreground is a planilla, or ore-cleaning ground. Photo courtesy Jimmie Schneider." From book 148: Geology and Quicksilver Deposits of the New Almaden District of Santa Clara County, Professional Paper 360, p 186. Figure 111, by Edgar Bailey. Open cut on east side of Mine Hill between English and Spanish camps in the 1880s. Portal of abandoned Main Tunnel is in right foreground. |
Date |
1888 |
Place |
Spanishtown |
Cataloged by |
Meyer, Bob |
Photographer |
Bulmore, Laurence |
Collection |
Bulmore Collection |