Museum logo Joseph Grant Almaden Quicksilver Martial Cottle SCCP

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog number 1997.2.1635
Object Name Clipping, Newspaper
Date 1945
Description TITLE: C. of C. Directors to Aid Centenary SUBTITLE: Appropriation of $250 Voted at Yesterday's Meeting of Board
A request from Attorney Archer Bowden for an appropriation of $250 for the coming centenary celebration of the University of Santa Clara was acted on favorably yesterday by the directors of the chamber of commerce at their weekly session at the Hotel Vendome. In addition it was announced that City Manager Clarence B. Goodwin had agreed to have the streets properly decorated during the celebration.
The chamber also agreed to appropriate $200 provided the Rotary club gave the same amount to provide 10,000 cartons of prunes to be sent the delegates at the International Rotary clubs convention to be held at Los Angeles this summer. The San Jose Realty Board is to be asked to share this expense.
Company Asks Inspection.
That San Jose is in the eyes of manufacturers is shown by the request of the Golden State Music Company of Berkeley that the chamber send a committee to inspect their factory with the idea of the company's locating here. The president was authorized to appoint such a committee.
V. T. McCurdy gave a report of his investigations of the Mediterranean fruit fly and the report was accepted with the thanks of the directors, the secretary being authorized to supply the press with information contained in the report.
New Members Meeting.
Joseph T. Brooks, chairman of the chamber's work committee, announced a meeting for the new members of the chamber for 7:30 o'clock of the evening of April 19, and invited the directors to be present to greet these new members.
The president was authorized to appoint a committee to visit and inspect the new port near Sunnyvale on invitation of the South Shore Port Co. Another communication from the San Francisco chamber of commerce announced the appointment of Manager Wyatt as one of a committee that is to arrange for excursions into the bay counties of the many [article is missing]
JUDGE A. C. INNES, "judge" because he was once justice of the peace, is writing an intensely interesting chronicle of the decadence of the Almaden mine in his cabin at the Senator mine, the shaft on the northernmost boundary of the great Almaden property. When Mr. Innes finishes his story, a fair, impartial, and exceptionally well-written account of the gradual falling off of what was once one of the greatest quicksilver mines in the world, will be the result.
Mr. Innes is at present chief engineer of the Senator mine. He has been with the Almaden interests for the last 53 years, and is qualified not only by length of tenure but also by close association with mine officials for the last four decades, to write a true, vivid history of these events.
Hills of Romance.
Romance lies in these green hills on the western rim of Santa Clara valley. Here are buried hopes, small tragedies, and here may be heard the stories of lives from cradle to grave.
The New Almaden Mining Co., Inc. is in the hands of George H. Sexton, a resident of San Mateo. The property contains 9,000 acres, and lies just to the south of the Guadalupe mining property, across the ridge from the Senator mine. It is a-beautiful group of' hills and valleys, watered by several clear streams, and capable of supporting a fine run of cattle were it abandoned entirely as a mining project. Three miles of hills, according to Mr. lnnes, who is an expert and knows which are highly mineralized and easily capable of supplying the world with quicksilver for another century.
Mines Are Silent.
There is no work at the Almaden mine. The Senator mine, employing 30 miners, is turning out something less than 50 flasks a week. They are shipped to San Francisco from the mine each week, and sold. Flasks are selling today at approximately $50 each. At one time, last summer to he exact, the Senator produced 100 flasks a week. They are not working the Senator's shaft. They are getting all their ore from the stopes, the horizontal layers of ore between strata of rock and the floor of the tunnel.
An old property.
The Almaden mine was started nearly 100 years ago. It was owned and operated by Mexicans. It was a splendid, thriving mine, supporting a busy village high up on the ridge. The turning point, when men are laid off aid the property began to decay, came in 1888. It started with the closing of the old "America" shaft. This depended in a measure upon the "Randol" shaft, a. phase of the story which will be revealed in Mr. Innes' chronicle.
Real distress was felt in the village. Here were quartered, educated, and nurtured spiritually from 1,500 to 1,800 men, women and children. Their village was 2,000 feet from the Hacienda creek down in the gorge. They had their church, their school, and their social life. When the mines began employing fewer men each month, a cry went up from the villagers. They did not understand the situation. They were not aware of what lay behind outward facts. They simply thought conditions of trade necessitated slacking off work. Mr. Innes will reveal what was back of it all. It is a story to be read from cover to cover.
The Cabins Are Deserted.
The Almaden mine closed completely in 1910. The Senator mine produced quicksilver during the war and was operated at great profit for the reason that flasks then sold at some hundreds of dollars. The wealth of historical and romantic data that must be woven about the story of the old Almaden mining property may be imagined when it is known that here was a prosperous mine long before California became a state and that Territorial Governor Mason, with headquarters at Monterey, rode through the village and inspected the workings. Mr. Innes' work should find thousands of sympathetic readers.
Photo Caption: JUDGE A. C. INNES
Chief engineer of the Senator Mine, the only division of the Almaden property now operating, who is writing a true history of the closing down of the famous Almaden mines.
People Innes, Alex (A.C.)
Cataloged by Boudreault, Art