|Object Name||Clipping, Newspaper|
TITLE: Signs Locate Almaden Landmarks SUBTITLE: No More Guesswork
Visitors to New Almaden tomorrow for the annual Almaden Day Celebration, won't have to seek out old timers to have them point out the historic points of interest in the old town.
This year metal markers will tell the location and history of the old buildings and landmarks in the town.
The half-dozen markers together tell briefly the story of the little village, once the center of activity of the richest quicksilver mine on he North American continent.
The markers are being erected today by the New Almaden Historical Society. They are made of metal, grained to resemble wood, with silver metallic lettering. They are hung from vermilion-painted cross-beams at right angles to wooden posts. The six signs have been financed by the admission charged to the museum in New Almaden, which is sponsored by the society.
The museum is located in one of the old adobe houses in the town, now operated by Mr. and Mrs.- Anthony Kambish. A number of interesting relics and displays are planned for Almaden Day. Latest item of interest to be displayed is a section of Old English rails just recovered from underground prospecting. The signs mark the Casa Grande, now "Club Almaden" the New Almaden Store, built in 1849; site of the first mining operations in California, site of the reduction works, and the site of the first two-story adobe hotel built in California.
Casa Grande was built in 1854 of adobe, brick and wood, and served as the residence of the mine's manager until 1925, according to the marker. It was once the scene of important social and political events and was a show place in the early days.
The store was first used as office and warehouse, then in 1864 Sam Butterworth of the Quicksilver Mining Co. organized the store and built a duplicate to it in the Town on the Hill.
A marker in Alamitos Creek tells that here Louis Chabolla and Antonio Sunol first worked New Almaden ore in an arresta and sluice as long ago as 1824.
The reduction works were established in 1846. The Scott furnace introduced in 1874 revolutionized the quicksilver industry. The existing adobe building is where the mine office was located in 1850. A telephone was installed in 1878 and electric lights in 1890.
Fire destroyed the old adobe hotel in 1874. It was built in 1848.
New Almaden was originally composed of two settlements about a -mile apart: the Hacienda where the mining company stores, offices, stores, and cemetery were located, and the Town on the Hill above. The few buildings remaining in the Hacienda, plus a few modern buildings, make up the town today. The, Town on the Hill has completely disappeared.
|Cataloged by||Boudreault, Art|