|Object Name||Clipping, Newspaper|
TITLE: [Beginning of headline is missing]n The Good Old Days" - Here and Els[rest of word is missing] PUBLISHER:
San Jose Mercury Herald Sunday Morning August 17, 1934
[Left part of Photo 1 and right part of photo 2 are clipped off.]
Photo 1 Caption: [missing]o Ghost Town Then: This rare photo taken in the sixties [1860's], shows the original Spanish town as it stood on the ridge between [missing] hill and Cemetery Hill in the days before the first town was wiped out by a fire in the early seventies [1870's]. Twice gone, the Mexican [missing] camp that followed it is now but a memory, for today only a few forlorn looking boards are to be found on this ridge to remind [Santa] Clara county of the days when it had California's oldest mining camp and America's first quicksilver mine.
Photo 2 Caption: WHEN LOAVES CAME PONY EXPRESS: Here's the way the historic quicksilver [missing] the gaudy days of sixty-five years ago. The baker not only had to be a horseman but an acr[missing] he climbed aboard over those panniers to make his morning rounds of the Hacienda. [missing] his morning rounds. This photo by J. M. Saunders, was taken on the main street in [missing] condensers silhouetted on the hill behind, the only thing today recognizable in this [missing] on the site at the extreme right, but the mine's hay barn.
Photo 3 Caption: Departed Mountain City: Over 60 years ago, when the New Almaden mines in this valley were at the peak of their production, here's what the visitor saw on the mountains southwest of this city. This old photo is a view of English Camp, of which not a half-dozen shacks remain today. Here brawny Cornishmen and Yankee miners lived after their day's work was done on the oak and manzanito-sided saddle overlooking this valley and East of Spanish Town.