Museum logo Joseph Grant Almaden Quicksilver Martial Cottle SCCP

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog number 1997.2.1596
Object Name Clipping, Newspaper
Date 1938
Description TITLE: Old Almaden Hacienda Store Bought Out By Partner
PUBLISHER: Old Almaden Hacienda Store Bought Out By Partner Special to the Mercury Herald. ALMADEN, Jan. 27, 1938
Frank B. Pfeiffer today sold his interest in the famous old Hacienda store, postoffice and barber shop to his partner of the last 10 years, A. C. Melanson..
Pfeiffer retains the historic Helping Hand hall, built by the American company about the same period as the store, in which he plans to hold old?time dances, picnics and parties for the summer colony trade.
Old pictures on the adobe walls of the venerable store recall scenes in the hey?day of the mining town's existence as one of the world's leading quicksilver producers. Miners in those days were paid in "boletas," printed tickets entitling them to trade at the store in lieu of wages, and usually at exorbitant prices.
Until 1886, when the railroad branch line was built to Almaden, the quicksilver product was shipped by mule team to Alviso for steamer transport to San Francisco.
Photo Caption: New Almaden was a roaring mining camp when this historic picture of the old Hacienda store was taken shortly after the store was erected with walls of adobe brick back in [18]'62; and mule teams like the one pictured here were hauling quicksilver to Alviso for steamer shipment. The store, still standing, was sold yesterday by Frank B. Pfeiffer to his partner, A. C. Melanson.
Pub Place Hacienda
Cataloged by Boudreault, Art