|Object Name||Clipping, Newspaper|
TITLE:New AImaden historical Society Is Founded PUBLISHER: [1949 Los Gatos Daily Times]
Another chapter of California history was reviewed when a group of enthusiasts met last Sunday in the fotthill [sic] town of Almaden, site of the New Almaden Quicksilver Mine. They had gathered to formed the New Almaden Historical Society, a non-profit organization whose purpose is to collect and preserve historical material and data relative to New Almaden, and to promote public interest therein. The society plans to sponsor a museum, mark historical sites in the vicinity of New Almaden, and encourage historical celebration.
The newly elected president is Laurence E. Bulmore, a resident of Berkeley, whose father, Robert R. Bulmore was superintendent of the mine for many years. The vice-president is Jimmy Schneider, the present custodian of the Mine Hill property, and the secretary-treasurer is Mrs. Anthony Kambish. Mrs. Kambish is also the curator of the museum, which is located in one room of her home, the Carson House, an adobe over 100 years old. The walls of the museum room are 17 inches thick, and the -floor is of the original tiles made right on the spot.
Among the many interesting exhibits are copies of pictures made inside the mines by Mr. Bulmore, and Dr. S. K Winn, the resident physician. These pictures were taken using pots of magnesium as flashlights, and were published in the San Jose Mercury in 1887. At that time great interest centered in the mines because of a contested election between Hon. Charles N. Felton and Frank J. Sullivan for Congressman from the 5th Congressional District, in which the New AImaden precinct was very conspicuous [sic].
Other objects to be noted are cinnabar nuggets of various formations, and record books of the mine company, including the tollgate receipt hook, and the rent book of the workers' homes. Up on Mine Hill, beyond the tollgate, were Cornish Town, where the surface miners and their families lived, and Mexican Town, the home of the underground workers. The site of the present town of Almaden was called Hacienda, and there lived the clerks and foremen.
A notched pole, a primitive ladder, 8 inches square and 10 feet long, shows how the Mexican laborers climbed up as much as 100 feet, carrying up to 200 pounds of ore in a sack on their hacks supported by a strap across the forehead.
A large working map of the one shows the tunnels at various levels, and a most unique exhibit is a glass model of the mine, made by Charles T. Healy, surveyor there in 1874. It consists of a wooden case containing 24 sheets of glass, each sheet representing a vertical cut through the hill.
In one exhibit case are relics dug up from the yards of some of the old homes. Among them are a doll's head and a marble which came from England. Every Christmas a party was held at Casa Grande, where the club now stands, and each child was given one or the other of these. Then there is a Knight Templar badge engraved with the name Samuel Doggett, but no one so far has been able to identify him.
The museum will he open Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and special appointments may be made for schools or clubs. A nominal admittance fee will be charged. The exhibits are insured and gifts or loans will be heartily accepted. The museum is located on the main highway, twelve houses beyond the club, and is marked by a sign carved on a piece of redwood slab taken from the mine.
|Cataloged by||Boudreault, Art|